Where is Annapurna Mountain Located?
Annapurna is the beautiful Himalayas located in the north-central which is 55 km long and is bounded by Kali Gandaki George on the west, Marsyangdi river on north and east, and Pokhara valley on the south. Annapurna includes 1 peak over 8,000 meters, 13 peaks over 7,000 meters and 16 peaks over 6,000 meters. The tenth highest mountain of the world Annapurna I lies in this region consists of height 8,091 meters (26,545 feet) above sea level.
The first and the largest conservation of Nepal (Annapurna Conservation Area) also lies in this region. Annapurna is also known as “full of food” but later on it is translated as Goddess of Harvests.
Geography of the Annapurna
Six prominent peaks over 7,200 m (23,620 ft) elevation lie in this region:
- Annapurna I (Main) 8,091 m (26,545 ft) 10th Ranked Mountain
- Annapurna II 7,937 m (26,040 ft) 16th Ranked Mountain
- Annapurna III 7,555 m (24,786 ft) 42nd Ranked Mountain
- Annapurna IV 7,525 m (24,688 ft)
- Gangapurna 7,455 m (24,457 ft) 59th Ranked Mountain
- Annapurna South 7,219 m (23,684 ft) 101st Ranked Mountain
Some peaks and Less prominent peaks in this region:
- Annapurna I Central 8,051 m (26,414 ft)
- Annapurna I East 8,010 m (26,280 ft)
- Annapurna Fang 7,647 m (25,089 ft)
- Lachenal Peak 7,140 m (23,425 ft)
- Nilgiri Himal North 7,061 m (23,166 ft), Central 6,940 m (22,769 ft) and South 6,839 m (22,438 ft)
- Machhapuchchhre 6,993 m (22,943 ft)
- Hiunchuli 6,441 m (21,132 ft)
Trekking in Annapurna Region
Annapurna Region is mainly known as the most popular trekking routes in Nepal. Jomsom Trek (Jomsom to Muktinath), the Annapurna Sanctuary route to Annapurna base camp and itself Annapurna circuit which includes the Annapurna Himal and Jomsom route are the three major trekking routes in this region. Pokhara is the starting point for this trek and also a good starting place for a short trek up to four or five days (Ghorepani and Ghandruk).
Probably, two-third of the tourists visits this area every year. In this region, you can have unique cultural exposure and experience. This region is simply amazing, the guest house provides you good accommodation, having a trek in this region offers incredibly diverse scenery of beautiful mountains.
Parameters of the Annapurna Mountain
- The biggest and largest conservation area(ACA) in this region.
- Due to collisions of Indian and Eurasian plates, these mountains were formed.
- Whole Annapurna Mountain ranges from 6000-8051 m.
- This region has almost similar limestone which is the same compared to Mt. Everest and Dhaulagiri.
French Annapurna Expedition of 1950
- For the first time in the history, Maurice Herzog and Louis Lachenal climbed Annapurna Peak I in 1950
- On 3rd June 1950 French Peak Climber named Maurice Herzog and his team (Gaston Rebuffat, Lionel Terray, Francis de Noyelle, Jean Couzy, Marcel Schatz, Jacques Oudot, and Marcel Ichac completed their journey on the top of Annapurna I
- In 1970 Don Williams and Dougal Haston successfully climbed Annapurna.
- Similarly, in the same year, two-person from British named British Chris Bonington and alpinist Ian Clough died because of the falling off icy mass.
- In October 2007, Slovenian mountain Climber, Thomas Humar successfully did his solo expedition.
- Vera Watson and Alison Chadwick Onyszkiewicz, who died when returning from the top of the peak.
Flora and Fauna in Annapurna
Annapurna Region is mostly popular for flora and fauna. There consists of 1,300 species of flowering plants, more than 100 mammals, 660 species of birds, 40 reptiles, and 25 amphibians.
Why Annapurna is dangerous?
The difficult way, landscapes, muddy roads, slides of torrential sudden climate change are the major factors that make this area more dangerous. The following reasons are the main points which display this region more dangerous.
Annapurna mountain includes many avalanches at any time. Overhanging of ice may cause an accident at any time. So that it is very dangerous. A fall of snow from hillside makes the way very difficult.
- Dramatic Fluctuation of Climate
Falling of the snow can be seen in most of the month. Climate can dramatically change so that it can be difficult for trekkers. While climbing up, the ice which is hanging on can hit and trap you at any time.
- Complicated Terrain
Walking nearby ice is also more dangerous in this region. You may fall when you slide from ice. Due to bad weather frigid structures, and ever-changing topography many trekkers have died in this area.
In case of any serious injury, there is no chance to get medical facilities so that you need to carry all necessary first aid for your safety. Due to the muddy and bad conditions of the road, there may not be able to get medical facilities. Even it is less chance to get Helicopter service in time.
Annapurna Trek is a very beautiful destination for any tourists yet it is difficult to climb. You can observe the peaks above 6000 meters. You can learn about the flora and fauna, lifestyle, culture, religion, and tradition of people living in this region. You will be mentally and physically fit after your trip to this region.